As of January 1, 2021 the following salary figures apply to the below residence permits:
- RWR Card (key employee) – applicant older than 30: EUR 3,330 gross/month
- RWR Card (key employee) – applicant younger than 30: EUR 2,775 gross/month
- RWR Card – Austrian university graduate: EUR 2,497.50 gross/month
- Blue Card EU: EUR 4,684.22 gross/month (EUR 65,579 gross/year)
- RWR Card (shortage occupations): no salary threshold (except for collective bargaining agreements)
Employers of third-country nationals seeking to obtain or renew these permits after January 1, 2021 must increase the salaries to comply with the new rule. All permits must also meet the minimum salary rate per the respective collective bargaining agreement. Salaries are generally paid 14 times per year.
A newly introduced rule allows for Red-White-Red Card applicants to submit the application without evidence of a booked accommodation or a rented flat prior to their arrival.
The list of professions to be considered as a shortage occupation in Austria, which already included nurses, professional care takers and caretaking assistants, has been amended to include also physicians (medical doctors) as of 2021.
Further shortage occupations were added to the lists applicable to different regions in Austria, such as
- social scientist, economists and statisticians (in Salzburg and Vorarlberg),
- restaurant cooks (in Upper Austria, Vorarlberg and Salzburg),
- accountants (in Upper Austria and Salzburg),
- retailers and shop assistants for wholesome food and vehicles (in Salzburg),
- graphic designers (in Salzburg), etc.
Get in contact if you would like to learn more about the possibilities to apply for a residence permit in Austria.